Tuesday, March 1, 2016


My plan for math is not working!! For our first 6 weeks I did review with the kids, reiterating that they new their addition, making simple bar graphs, comparing numbers, and my 7 year old learned some clock reading.

We are 2 weeks in to our second 6 week stint and I had chosen Moby Max. Some of the website can be accessed for free and then there is a fee for things like reports. There is a one month free trial period, which we are still in, to try the entire site. I am NOT impressed with this website for a comprehensive math curriculum resource. First of all it is Common Core aligned. It does NOT explain how to do things. My 7 year old, first grade, took the placement test and did excellent. When it was time to start lessons he did just fine for a couple of days and then it introduced something new and he didn't know what to do, unfortunately neither did I because it is common core! The Kindergarten placement test was a struggle for my 6 year old. When it was time for lessons it was all above her head and I had to sit and explain every problem. She was getting very frustrated.

WHAT DO I TEACH MY KIDS!!

I was searching for a comprehensive list and what my kids should know at each level. I was hoping for NON COMMON CORE because I just do not agree with the things that are being forced on our children.

I came across this GEM buried in some comments under a post talking about how to teach math on a home school facebook group I am a member of. When I found this I literally squealed. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR! There is a multitude of learning games, websites, printable worksheets, etc. that can seriously be overwhelming. I wanted a list of what my kids should be learning at the APPROPRIATE age level at a NON COMMON CORE standard. Now that I have this list I can teach them each subject and use websites and worksheets to my/their advantage.

I hope this helps others as well. I printed every grade level list and will be keeping it safely in my home school builder in protective sheets. It is a gold mine of useful information.

Thank you to Nevada Homeschool Network for archiving this pre-common core list by World Book (their current list has changed to be common core aligned unfortunately).

I am a happy Home School Mom right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment